I apologize, because this is a very rough draft. It needs some elbow grease, and I have to fix references to Kaddo's arrival. But this is the gist of it, so let me know how it works.
The Avatar sensed his end. There had been times, so many times, that he had wished for his suffering to cease, but not like this. Not by the hand of this terrifying creature that had once been his daughter.
As the sound of thunder filled his ears, the Avatar closed his eyes. He tried to open his mouth, but the strength had drained from him. I’m sorry, Sakura. A tear escaped from beneath his lid. It slid down his cheek, hot against his flesh, like a brand of shame. So sorry.
The pressure eased from his chest. Air filled his lungs as he gasped. His eyes flittered o…
Read more >
Okay, I imagine that we're all in the same boat of wanting to see these revisions finished and published so that we can move on with the story. My question is as follows: Do we have a timetable for the release of the revised chapters/sections? If not, we should probably come up with something so that we're not stuck in limbo. Thoughts?Read more >
I know Slash is going to write the final scene of Chapter 5, but I couldn't stop...so, here it is. :)
Eris narrowed her eyes as a chill ran down her spine; something was odd. She glanced around the massive library, half expecting Wan Shi Tong to attempt to descend on her again, but no spirit was in sight. No, the disturbance stemmed from the energy in the library itself.
I have felt this energy before… She smirked; though she hadn’t found anything meaningful in her search yet, the people she had inadvertently brought into her revenge were a key. Eris narrowed her eyes. Their energy…it’s linked somehow. I need to find them if I am to learn what went wrong. Perhaps if I were to send them back to their worlds, things would change…
“But…they are n…
Read more >
Ok, guys, I have determined that, due to our very different lives in very different parts of the world, scheduling these weekly meetings and getting us all together is like herding cats made of jello: impossible. So, I have a semi-useful solution. I would ask that each member write down the days and times throughout the week that they can attend meetings, in the comments of course, and we can compile a decent schedule based on the day and time that is best for everyone (assuming we get that lucky). So, please post in the comments so we can get this rolling. :)Read more >
Hey all, I haven't entirely read up on the Vortex story yet (still half like half of Minn's chapter to read through), so I don't know how much any of the proposed would interfere with what will still happen or might have been decided or whatever.
Anyway, rambling aside, I'll just propose the idea:
At some point in time, possibly after they destroyed the last vortex but nothing happened though they were expected to be all sent home, the group could tag along with Eris to her world -though obviously not intended (on her side). Perhaps a battle could've gone wrong as in, Eris created a portal to go back to her own world, thinking that she had knocked them all out or something, but was mistaken and they jump her, falling all through the portal e…Read more >
I sadly write this today because; unfortunately it needs to be written. Earlier a member of the ever so amazing writing team pointed out a fact. I have written but a paragraph of Vortex. I am not qualified to choose the next newbie authors as I wanted too. Yes I wanted to make the choice of new authors (don't worry i wasn't going to cut anyone who wasn't inactive.) myself. The same way I did last time. To pick a great team! I even said that I wouldn't pick people I didn't like. But somebody wants to vote. So I will give you all the vote.
- According to a former author/bystander; I'm not really fit to be in a community fanon because I "unwanted edits", said person noting that the new Main Page design I made was reverted by both ARG; and Minnic…
In attendence were: Everyone except for Wordbender, AvatarRokusGhost, Minnichi, BlackMonkey, and Agent Slash.
Suzon brought up six topics to discuss:
- A revision of Vortex's main page on the Avatar Wiki.
- The addition of a News/Updates page of Vortex on the Avatar Wiki.
- The filling in of major story events that are missing from the Outline.
- Deciding on a date for the Winter Finale, which also means that the unreleased previous chapters have to be released by than.
- Making a BSST column advertising the Winter Finale, including, a recap of previous chapters, a minor excerpt, a tiny plot description, and the Release Date.
- A minor discussion about the possibility of a sequel series.
Unfortunately, only two authors showed up to the prescheduled meeting.
EToM…Read more >
In attendance were: Suzon, Wordbender, AvatarRokusGhost, Mageddon725, and Agent Slash
- A winter finale was discussed, prompting AvatarRokusGhost to add it to the timeline.
- The effects of the Paradox on reality was discussed, and although there is debate about delivery, simple signs escalating into worlds crumbling seems to be generally agreed upon.
- Chapter 8, was moved to chapter seven, with the finale becoming six, chapter six became chapter nine, and chapter seven became chapter eight.
- I (Suzon), have added possible plot points for the winter finale, and its other "part" Sozin's Comet, at the next meeting we can work out the kinks, because nothings set in stone.
In other news, Mage, Wordbender, and Slash recieved a cookie for identifying The …Read more >
For our weekly meetings, it seems that Monday at 5:00 is not good for some. Do we have another day and time that would be good for everyone? And as for New Year's Eve, which is tomorrow, will there be a meeting?Read more >
In my Internet browsing today, I came across an article called 'On Being a Co-Writer'. Hey, I said to myself, I'm a co-writer!
I skimmed through and it makes some very good points, so I thought I'd share with all my fellow co-writers. XD
On Being A Co-WriterRead more >
In attendance were Wordbender, Mage, and ARG
- Chapter 1 has been published and our subscribers notified. Huzzah!
- It was decided that a running sideplot involving Olaiya and Shirou will be added, hopefully with a scene in each chapter, chronicling their chase of the Avatar into the other world and their eventual alliance, culminating in Shirou's betraying Olaiya in BM's chapter. This has not actually been outlined, so brainstorm!
- ARG reported that he's 600 words into chapter three, and also calculated that we will be able to ask for a review after Minn's chapter.
In other news, it was decided Iroh would never have been involved in the Boston Tea Party, and the epicness that is The Hobbit was discussed at long length. Because it is that awesome.… Read more >
Wordbender and I (once again, the lone users present at a meeting...nudge, nudge) talked at length, and we thought it would be best to get the ball rolling on a Chapter 1 release. She's finished with it, and she did an excellent job. I see no reason not to publish it this week, unless someone has an objection to raise? Please discuss on this blog so that we can get an idea about what to do with this.
- Mageddon725Read more >
In attendance were Wordbender, Mage, and Minnichi.
- Suzon had previously informed Mage that it would be some time before he could finish Chapter 1 and so provided him with the outline so someone else could work on it.
- Wordbender offered to take over the first chapter, using a combination of Suzon's outline and her own. She is optimistic about turning out a draft by next week.
- It was suggested that we add a chapter 'progress bar' on our Vortex fanon page, and the idea was met with enthusiasm.
- Changes to the Prologue have been suggested, including the swapping of Olaiya's final section with Ling's, converting words currently in all caps to italics, as well as some sentence editing offered by Mage.
In other news, Suzon was mistaken for Sozen and at…Read more >
In attendance were BM, Mageddon and Wordbender. ARG did appear, but lost connection.
- It was decided that the prologue is a good length. If everyone agrees, the scenes from Slash and Matey are not deemed necessary, but are still welcome.
- To avoid large gaps of time for the readers, we think chapter one should be well under way before the prologue is finished.
- Authors should begin considering the setting for their second chapters if the vortexes in their worlds have already been closed.
- Encounters with Olaiya were suggested to be rare, definitely not in every chapter. Five or more was the estimated number.
We really need to get all members in one meeting at once. How about next Monday? Other suggestions?Read more >
I'm just frustrated at the way four of the seven of you all have treated me before. I'm so unhappy to be writing this blog, but I'm thinking about quitting. I don't know. If you guys are fine with it, I will, but If it will impact the project to such an extent that I cannot quit, tell me. Just be honest. Im finding now I will definately be having problems. So, what do you guys think? Well, thanks everyone, and even though i'm in a conflict-esque setting with four of you, you are all some of the nicest, most awesome users out there. To be fair, I won't say who the four are, however, they should understand.
Read more >
01:02, October 20, 2012 (UTC)
Here's mine - It's closer to 400 words, but I think it's fine. Still pretty short. If you guys need me to shorten it that's fine.
The sun was setting over the dark, wooded trail of the Earth Kingdom. Shirou stumbled down the path, still in great pain from his recent fight. He felt his face, it was still cold and lifeless, but his features were beginning to come back to how they used to be. The distinctive curves of his face and shape of his nose that were faded when he returned to the forest were able to be felt again. His current strength, however, was a mere shadow of its former self - falling, aching, burning, pain tearing him apart each time he stepped.
But he had to move forward. At the Town of Ethos, everyone was waiting for him, count…Read more >
It's a little long. I'll try and trim it down by 50-100 words. I may also rewrite the part with the vortex itself.
As Kaddo’s canoe slugged across the boundless surface of ocean – with a flat level of salty water as far as the eye could see in every direction – its young passenger finally glimpsed the sticking tip of an iceberg. It was the first sign of his approaching the South Pole. The aspiring waterbending master reached down and slid his thick, woolly Water Tribe overcoat back over his shoulders. He had shed it earlier when heated sun, combined with the exercise of his journey had caused him to sweat. Now the changing weather between the southern coastline of the Earth Kingdom and the South Pole made him reverse the step to stay …
Read more >
My apologies. I lost the conversation and this was all I could pull from memory. If anyone remembers more, please add on.
Users in attendance: ARG, Agent Slash, BlackMonkey, Mageddon725, Wordbender
Points of Interest:
- Chapter One's outline has been slightly tweaked. The gang will land together on Olaiya's world, they will confront Olaiya and battle enough to piece together an idea of what's going on. Olaiya blasts them to the next world.
- It has been agreed that Suzon, if he accepts, is the best choice as author for Chapter One, as it takes place on Olaiya's world.
- 'Energy' has been identified as 'essence', that is, that which makes something what it is.
- It was discussed that Olaiya should be able to manipulate a person's energy. Basically, contr…
Short and sweet. If this looks good, I'll add it to the Prologue.
Princess Ursa desired dragons. She stood admiring the long forgotten kingdom, imagining it fraught with the magnificent creatures as it once had been. Leaning for a closer look, the rock slipped under her foot. She fell forward. The world swayed. Beneath her, the ground swirled. The other ancient ziggurats surrounding hers suddenly appeared much too close for comfort.
Pin wheeling her arms, Ursa managed to catch her balance. Her breath was another matter. She stood very still until the panicked pounding of her heart gradually slowed.
“That was close,” she gulped. Her eyes were fixed on the ground several hundred feet below.
It was a good thing Yuki hadn’t seen that. Her bodyguar…
Read more >
[04:41] == AvatarRokusGhost[45731375@gateway/web/freenode/ip.184.108.40.206] has joined#vortexmeeting
[04:41] == mode/#vortexmeeting [+ns] by rowling.freenode.net
[04:42] == Mageddon725[186e225f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.220.127.116.11] has joined#vortexmeeting
[04:42] == wordbender[4ba5fa6b@gateway/web/freenode/ip.18.104.22.168] has joined#vortexmeeting
[04:42] I saw your outline, WB, and I think it works nicely.
[04:43] Great! Sorry it took so long. :(
[04:43] Eh...things happen. :)
[04:43] Now...I think the order of the day should be Olaiya's minions/soldiers
[04:43] Eventually, my brain will get into the gear with this project.
[04:44] Good thought. I hadn't actually tho…Read more >
Okay, I've written down something preliminary: Yun's crossover in the Vortex. I have an idea. The first chapter (not the prologue) will have sections with each character getting pulled into a Vortex and reappearing on a different plane (not one of our worlds, not yet). After that, the next chapter could detail their interactions (sort of like the character convention last Monday), and we can move on from their.
Here is my portion (or at least some approximation of what it'll be):
“That represents my word to you; I will not forget.”
Yun and Ty Lee sat out on one of the many balconies that lined the Fire Nation Royal Palace, and both of them wished it didn’t have to end.
“When do you leave?” The Kyoshi Warrior asked softly.
“In a week…” The newly…
Read more >
- The next meting will be on Monday, at 5 PM, EST.
- We did some role playing related to our Character Conventions, to get a feel for the characters and how the group was compatible.
- A quote from Yun which provides perspective: ”I’m not sure about this; we hardly know each other! You and Ursa seem nice enough, Kaddo, but Elquiorra hasn’t said much of anything. And Sera…I don’t trust her.”
- Seraphine might open up to another character during the course of the story, but she would have to threaten that character not to tell her secret in the process.
- Seraphine will be saved by someone early on and feel indebted to that character, which is her motivation to travel to other worlds from that point on. She may be healed by Kaddo.
- Characters such as Yun, Ursa …
[05:02:34] -->| YOU (AvatarRokusGhost) have joined #vortexmeeting
[05:02:35] =-= Mode #vortexmeeting +ns by barjavel.freenode.net
[05:02:56] -->| Mageddon725 (186e225f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.22.214.171.124) has joined #vortexmeeting
[05:03:33] Mageddon725 I'm here, now we wait for Suzon...
[05:03:58] -->| wordbender_ (41820cef@gateway/web/freenode/ip.126.96.36.199) has joined #vortexmeeting
[05:04:06] wordbender_ Haha, I get it now. ^_^
[05:04:24] AvatarRokusGhost lol
[05:04:59] wordbender_ Just us so far?
[05:05:32] AvatarRokusGhost Looks like it
[05:05:44] AvatarRokusGhost I sent the link to Omar and Lostris too...
[05:06:25] wordbender_ Hmm...Perhaps we should poke them.
[05:06:34] -->| Omar067 (4ab1c2d0@gateway/web/freenode/ip.74.177.…Read more >
Character conventions are a chance for everyone to get to know your characters. We bring our characters and allow them to interact with one another. Generally, it’s written out like a play.
Ursa: *tries to hold a squirming turtle duck* Keep still! You’ll only make it worse.
*turtle duck squawks*
Roh-Roh: *runs up, beaming* You rescued her! Is she okay?
Ursa: Her wing is broken. *begins stroking the turtle duck’s head* We need to calm her down.
It doesn’t really matter what happens in the convention because it’s not canon. It’s only an exercise to learn the characters –their personalities and reactions– and, trust me, things can get pretty wacky!
Once we’ve played around in the convention and we feel we have a good grip on the cast, we can also…
Read more >
- The next meeting will be on Monday at 5 PM, EST.
- We will be playing “Character Conventions.” Everyone is encouraged to write up a comprehensive profile on their character and possibly include some scenes or suggested chapter readings for information on their character. Later on, we will role play on IRC to get an idea for the different characters and how they would fit together.
- The prologue will be written by Suzon. Olaiya will be introduced as the son of an Avatar in the distant future. His father left Olaiya and Olaiya’s mother to perform his duty to the world when Olaiya was younger. Olaiya perceives his father as having abandoned the family. Thus, he hates his father, and by extension, all Avatars.
- Also in the prologue, a “paradox” becomes th…
[2012-07-26 19:29:42] -->| Mageddon725 (186e225f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.188.8.131.52) has joined #vortexaw
[2012-07-26 19:30:45] -->| AvatarRokusGhost (45731375@gateway/web/freenode/ip.184.108.40.206) has joined #vortexaw
[2012-07-26 19:30:46] -->| wordbender (4164c72f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.220.127.116.11) has joined #vortexaw
[2012-07-26 19:30:51] Fun trick! :)
[2012-07-26 19:30:55] -->| MateyY (4b10baac@gateway/web/freenode/ip.18.104.22.168) has joined #vortexaw
[2012-07-26 19:31:00] :)
[2012-07-26 19:31:01] Hello!
[2012-07-26 19:31:05] Greetings, all!
[2012-07-26 19:31:14] -->| Omar067 (b8265dc3@gateway/web/freenode/ip.22.214.171.124) has joined #vortexaw
[2012-07-26 19:31:16] Hello
[2012-07-26 19:31:17] all
[2012-07-26 19:31:22] Hello.
[201…Read more >